January 9, 2017
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from December 31, 2016 to January 6, 2016. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents will be included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- December 31: One suicide bomber killed herself with no other casualties in Maiduguri, Borno. Boko Haram was suspected.
- December 31: Gunmen abducted a Kogi traditional ruler in Lokoja, Kogi.
- January 3: Nigerian soldiers repelled a Boko Haram attack in Madagali, Adamawa. There were no casualties.
- January 3: Cultists killed two before losing five of their own to Nigerian soldiers in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni, Rivers.
- January 3: Sectarian violence led to five deaths in Okpokwu, Benue.
- January 4: Vigilantes killed three would-be suicide bombers in Madagali, Adamawa. Boko Haram is suspected.
Post a Comment
CFR seeks to foster civil and informed discussion of foreign policy issues. Opinions expressed on CFR blogs are solely those of the author or commenter, not of CFR, which takes no institutional positions. All comments must abide by CFR’s guidelines and will be moderated prior to posting.